Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Storyteller

24th of May, 2008.
6.30 p.m
The match between Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals was on. A win would have ensured a semi-final spot for us, Super Kings. I was at home, watching the match with my family and three friends of mine. We were to be at the Landmark, Nungambakkam bookstore by 7 p.m. My dream was to come true. I was going to get a chance to meet Jeffrey Archer, in person! After much urging, I was able to force my friends out of my house and we were off to Landmark(CSK needing 68 off 6 overs, lost the match. We went on to lose again to the Royals in the final, thats history now!). It is my belief that a guest can be late, not the hosts. And as part of Chennai, I was the host. Against all odds, we did make it to the place before 7, ensuring a place for us to stand among the stifling crowd of 1500 and also to be on time to welcome him....

He arrived a few minutes after 7, and the hour and a half for which he spoke and answered questions seemed to fly past us as if it were a few seconds! While most of what he spoke seems to have been covered in one form of the media or the other, there were a few good things, which I felt had been left out.

On being late, he had said " I usually arrive on time for all my meetings, but the way in which your people drive, even the Italians seem gentle to me now!" , to loud cheers and applause.

How he went on to be a best seller, his experiences with the American radio while marketing "Kane & Abel" to make it the number one best seller, and every other incident he quoted, kept the audience wanting and waiting for more!

And the way in which he signed off, it is going to be etched in my memory....
"I'll be coming to India again at the year end when the English cricket team would come for its tour. I know whats going to happen then. India would be put to bat first. Sehwag goes for 3, Dravid for 1, Sachin for 2, Ganguly for 1, Laxman for knot, and at lunch India go in at 33 for 7."
A hushed silence, followed by loud " boo's ", and then silence again....
He goes on to say, "After all, I am a storyteller!", to thunderous applause.

No wonder, he is one of the best storytellers of our age...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing, your style of writing reminds me of the great man himself- Jaeffrey Archer.

Arvind said...

well written da ,you have the proclivity to blog , keep up the good work.