Monday, June 30, 2008

Strutting the roads!

It was Friday, the 13th of June. One of those days when things you least expect come out to be the truth. It was the day which marked the release of the much hyped movie, Dasavathaaram. It also marked the clash between France and the Netherlands at the Euro. But I end up remembering the day for something else...

Along with two of my friends, I was to watch Dasavathaaram(first day, night show!). As is my habit, I took to walking the distance to Inox, Citi Centre( being eco-friendly, I take it upon myself to walk and use public transport as much as is feasible!). I reached well in advance of our slated 10 p.m. show( 5 mins to state the truth!). With so many shows of the same film on a single day, ours was inevitably delayed, and we finally took to our seats at half past ten.

Torn between two of my friends, one who had already seen it, and the other who was hankering to see the football match rather than the movie, I managed to enjoy Kamal's presence on screen( since there isn't almost a single scene without him, I could have said I enjoyed the movie... this way better though!).

At 1.30, my friend offered to drop me home. En route, he informed me that he was running out of fuel. So I suggested he should rather go to his place directly, than come out of his way and drop me at my house. As agreed, he left me at the Nilgiris supermarket. This was about ten minutes from my house, and though I had no reason to be afraid, I was still dreading the lonely walk at this time of the night. It turned out to be quite the contrary...

I took to my mp3 player as I always do when I walk , and I started. It was one of those walks which will stay forever. At this point of time, there was not a single vehicle in the vicinity. I gradually took the liberty to walk in the middle of the roads! It was like a dream come true. The entire stretch of roads were at my disposal. I danced to the tunes of the song I was listening to, and was held up just once while crossing the roads. Two in a bike, probably returning from another night show, glanced at me in a queer fashion, thinking I must be out of my mind.

Who cares!! I continued on in much the same way and reached home in time to celebrate a Dutch victory. And what should I say...
It was neither the Dutch victory, nor Dasavathaaram which urged me to put that day into words, but the feeling of being the King of the roads that did!

0 comments: